Thursday, August 12, 2010

Winter Hats

So, it is a little early for wearing winter hats, but since I have no other projects to work on while I wait for the baby to be born, I have been crocheting some for the kids.  I made this one for Caitlin last summer and she wore it last winter.  I had no idea what I was doing (and still don't), but I think it turned out really cute!  (The camera phone picture really doesn't do it justice.)


Here is a picture of it now, after several washings.


Here are some pictures of her wearing it last December.


Last summer while I was making Caitlin's hat, Aiden asked me to make him one.  Caitlin's winter hat was the last of several crochet projects I had been working on and I felt a little burnt out, so, since Aiden already had several winter hats, I told him that I would make one for him some other time.  Just the other day, while playing with the children in their room, Aiden pulled Caitlin's hat out of the closet and stretched it onto his almost 3 year old noggin.  He was so comical, prancing around the room, smiling and wiggling his head.  Suddenly, he stopped, as if he had just remembered something.  Aiden:  "Mommy, you make me a hat?  You make me a hat, too, like Tway-lin?" (Caitlin- he can't make the C sound yet.)  It tugged on my mommy heartstrings and I felt a bit ashamed that I had yet to fulfill my promise so I said, "Sure I will, Bud!"  Aiden:  "Yes?  Yay!  You make me a green one?"  I rifled through my stash of thrift store bargain buy yarn skeins and found one skein of dark green.  A few days later, (with my figure-it-out-as-I-go-self-taught-crochet-skills) this green hat emerged.





Aiden was as pleased as could be, and for the first few days, he only took it off when "his hat got sweaty" as he put it.  Partway through making his hat, I got a little tired of seeing green, so I took a little break and thought I would make a tiny hat for Caitlin's baby doll.  I had most of a skein of beautiful multi-colored yarn that I had purchased in February and used to accent Caitlin's birthday invitations.  I soon realized that I was making the hat too large for her tiny doll, so I decided to just make a full sized one for Caitlin.  I finished it last night, and, to my great disappointment, I made it too small!



I am too smitten with it to sell it and none of my close friends have little baby girls, so I guess I will just wait and see if this baby turns out to be a girl, or perhaps the next one.  I really am disappointed that it is too small for Caitlin, so perhaps, if I have enough yarn left, I will try again and make a bigger one that will actually fit her.  P.S.  I just discovered this ruffled edge technique while playing around with how to finish the edge, and I love it!  I am definately going to use it again in the future.  Another P.S.- To Mom (you know who you are).  Someday I will search out and find some more of that neat speckled purple yarn and finish your last-year's-birthday-gift mittens.  I promise!  If not, I might revamp the entire project and just use a different color.  I still have a month and a half until your next birthday! : )

My Blog Signature

7 comments:

  1. Well, you are one day going to have this baby. I was sure I was going to get the call from Jodi while in NYC... We go back yesterday and now today is Heidi's 1st b-day so maybe she will be sharing it with her 2nd cousin.
    With all that fluid, maybe you made it too cushy for it to want to come out. I had a lot of fluid with both, but not that much.
    Did your belly botton pop out and now flush with the belly. That happened with Heidi and I called it my Turkey Timer since I had her 2 days after that happened. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arin- Yes, my belly button started popping out a few weeks ago- that didn't happen with my first two, it was just flat, but it is definately sticking out this time. It must be the fluid- my belly is larger than it ever was with my other kiddos- none of my usual maternity shirts can cover it anymore, which is surprising because I am 15 lbs under what I gained with Aiden.
    Happy birthday to Heidi! Probably won't be a double Bday; I am a pretty slow laborer so even if I went into labor right now, I probably wouldn't have the baby until tomorrow morning : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was huge with Heidi, bigger than with Holly and Heidi came almost a week eailer. I remember having the same issues with shits, so I ended up just wearing my maternity dresses the last few weeks.
    Are you haveing any early contractions? The non-stress test should of shown that. I had 7 of those with Holly and about 15 with Heidi (pre-term labor issues) It was funny the day Heidi was born and I had been laboring for about 16 hours (early labor) she was having a party in there, because she was kicking every 30 seconds when i had to push the botton. So much for them getting quiet before the storm. The nurse joked that, if I would of been able to give natural birth to her, she would of come out dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking about you today and this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arin- If I had any maternity dresses, I would totally be wearing them! A friend loaned me some of her homemade ones; very pretty, but alas, she is much shorter than me, so I will settle for a pooh bear belly in favor of a too-short dress.
    Also, I have had some (very) occasional (very) short lived contractions over the past couple of weeks, but I didn't have any during the Non-Stress Test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn- Thank you so much! That means alot to me. And congrats to Angela on her first day of public school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3:45 AM? Bless your heart, you have pregnancy insomnia - I hated that. Shoot, you missed my load of maternity clothes by a few weeks. I gave up all my maternity clothes a few weeks before you announced you were pregnant.
    Hopefully you will have this baby soon.
    Is your Mid-wife going to be pushing your little camper along this week?

    ReplyDelete