Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tasty Treat Tuesday: A Healthy Alternative to Kool Aid


It's so cheap and easy to mix up a pitcher of Kool Aid on a hot summer day, but did you ever wish you had an alternative that was a little healthier (and for us parents- a bit more sophisticated than "Wild & Wacky Cherry Berry?")  I've found a better option that is not as healthy as drinking real juice, but is certainly less expensive than real juice or even frozen juice concentrate, and is just about as easy as making Kool Aid (without the Red Dye #40.)  It is basically the same premise as iced tea, but instead of using caffeinated black tea, you use fruity herbal teas, which are naturally caffeine free.  I picked up a couple boxes of assorted fruity and herbal teas at the store this morning.  The Bigelow Assorted Herb Teas cost $2.62 for a box of 18 tea bags in various flavors such as Lemon, Orange Spice, and Pomegranate.  The Celestial Seasonings Fruit Tea Sampler cost $2.44 for a box of 18 slightly larger tea bags in various flavors such as True Blueberry, Country Peach Passion, and Wild Berry Zinger.  Sweeteners aside, it costs 10 cents to make a pitcher of Kool Aid, and about 40 cents to make a pitcher of fruity herbal iced tea (if using 3 tea bags as I do.)  Cheap, store brand frozen juice concentrate costs around $1.00 at my local grocery store.

Here's my method:
  • Steep about 3 herbal/fruit tea bags in 1-2 cups of very hot water for 5-10 min or until tea looks quite dark.  You can mix and match flavors.  Today I steeped Lemon, Country Peach Passion, and Wild Berry Zinger together.
  • Mix in desired amount of sweetener (your healthiest option is probably honey- that is what I use.)
  • Add enough ice and water to the pitcher to properly dilute the sweetened tea concentrate.
  • Enjoy!
My favorite part about this is that I can serve my family something that isn't artificial or loaded with processed white sugar (each 2 quart pitcher of Kool Aid contains an entire cup of sugar!)  Also, there are studies linking artificial food dyes to behavioral issues in children and some people are actually allergic to them.  Early on in this pregnancy, I found I was suffering from unexplained headaches.  I did a little detective work and  discovered that I only got the headaches after I ate/drank something with artificial food coloring in it!  I don't know why that happened, but it is all the more reason for me to steer clear of that stuff as much as I can.  Also, I certainly enjoy the fruity herbal tea flavors better than any of the Kool Aid flavors.  I hope your family will, too!

P.S.  No, I have not had the baby yet, and I am not in labor, either.  Tomorrow I will be 41 weeks and I certainly expect to go into labor at any time!  I will be sure to post an update if that happens.  Today, as my husband kissed me on his way out the door to work, he said:  "Oh, could you please go into labor today?  Think baby thoughts."  I told him I'd do my best!



My Blog Signature

2 comments:

  1. I've tried this kind of 'tea' with my kids before, but they didn't go for it. I think I'll try again with some different flavours though.
    Hope your baby comes soon! I know what it's like to be overdue & waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandpiper- I hope you find some good flavors that your kiddos like!
    It was actually encouraging to read your posts about always being overdue, because it seems like everyone I know delivers early/on time, and I always take a week or so longer. Also, there seems to be a misconception going around that the more children you have, the earlier you will deliver each time. Having a large family, have you heard things like that from people?

    ReplyDelete