Tuesday, July 21, 2015

How To Move When You Are 7 Months Pregnant and Your Family Has the Flu



DONT!!!


Just kidding. If someone offers you an amazing rental house and your little (big) family is bursting at the seams where you currently live, you should definitely do it, and you should do it before you are caring for a newborn on very little sleep.


Four years ago, we moved into our current apartment with three little kiddos. Next Saturday, we will be moving into a rental house (yay!) with 5 kids AND I am currently 7 months pregnant.  Oh my goodness, please say a prayer for us to somehow pull this off. There is still so much to pack.  I feel like I have only made a small dent.  Our family has been taking turns with some sort of flu bug for the last week and a half and I am having a wee bit of anxiety that I will not be able to pack everything in time. I think I am going to just start focusing on packing up one entire room at a time, and leaving an open box of essential items for each room.

Bite size pieces. Work at it a little each day. To channel Dory from "Finding Nemo":  "Just keep packing, just keep packing." I've gotten the most generous offers from friends and family to come help me pack, but with the whole flu bug thing going on over here, I just can't in good conscience ask people to come over and catch the flu. Bleh.


Now, I don't care for a lot of television watching in my house, but after a sincere discussion with my husband at lunch today, where I admitted that I haven't been able to pack a single box all day because I have been snuggling and reading stories to sick kids on the couch, in between cooking, dishes, laundry, diaper changes, baths, etc.....he convinced me to let the kids watch some cartoons on Netflix so I can pack.  I felt guilty doing this, but he reminded me that I am not adopting a new parenting style where I ignore the kids all day and they become couch potatoes forever, I am just letting them watch a couple of shows each afternoon for a week of their lives, so we can move to a house where they will have a huge back yard and more rooms in which to run and play and be kids. It is a legitimate solution to a short term problem. And it really is only short term. We prob won't even have the TV hooked up to Netflix for a while after we move, so it won't be a temptation or even an option for them, and the kids can go back to being their normal, creative, active selves.


Okay, off to packing. In two weeks, we'll be on the other side of this and have all the time in the world to unpack and settle in to our new home. At least until the baby comes in September. Then it gets crazy all over again! But a good kind of crazy :-)


If anyone reads this post (ha!), please leave a comment with your best moving tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment