Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Does My Help Come From?

In a few days we will be moving. The floor of the kids' room is crowded by 2 toddler mattresses, 1 queen size mattress, 1 "pop-up" crib, and one chest of drawers.  Our "former" master bedroom is half full, floor to ceiling, with moving boxes and disassembled furniture.

My two oldest children (2 1/2 and 4yrs) have been ill since early yesterday afternoon with fevers and other unpleasant side effects of some sort of flu virus, I'm guessing. My baby (1yr) has been suffering terribly from the torments of teething, and I have to admit that my husband's and my sleep has been, as well.

Aiden's mattress borders with my side of the queen mattress and so we sleep inches away from each other. He loves being so close to me and sleeps so soundly this way.

With all that said, here are the events of my morning as they played out, after minimal hours of sleep:

I awaken to my poor Aiden, whimpering next to me on his mattress. I look over and offer words of comfort just before he starts getting sick. He is lying down, so I help him sit up. All of this commotion has woken the baby who was next to me in bed, and feels denied his morning nursing. Tim is awake now and tries to comfort the baby as I change Aiden's clothes and bedding and get him a drink of water. Declan (the baby) is nearing hysterics, as I (in my sleep-deprived stupor) take a ridiculously long time trying to find where I put the extra pillows. I finally settle Aiden back into his freshly made bed, and take the baby from my equally drowsy husband.

It is stuffy in "the bedroom" as we now call it, from the morning's events, so I bring Declan out to our recliner in the living room. I sit down next to the open sliding glass door and nurse my teething babe. It is cool and overcast outside (which I love) and the air smells heavy with the promise of rain. I open the web browser on my phone to my home page, biblegateway.com, and read their "verses of the day" selection, which are:

Psalm 121:1-3 (NASB)
The LORD the Keeper of Israel.
A Song of Ascents.
"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth
He will not allow your foot to slip
He who keeps you will not slumber"

It begins to sprinkle lightly outside and the fragrance is Heavenly. Declan nurses contentedly and looks up at me, his comfort, his safety. My husband wanders in and plops into a stuffed chair facing me. We smile at each other and share my foot rest. I think of the passage I'd just read, and feel so blessed at how God has turned my morning around, and glad that I thought of looking to His Word, before anything else on this morning. And no matter what transpires today, sick children and all, I can look towards the Heavens; I know where my help comes from :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment