Thursday, June 3, 2010

Busy Busy Today



I didn't get very much sleep last night due to the restless tossing and turning that always comes during the third trimester of my pregnancies.  So, this morning when my 2 year old comes into my room saying "I hungy!" and my husband calls from work and asks me did I go back to bed (I had), I expected that I would be dragging myself through my day, sleepy and not accomplishing much.

Not So! 

For some reason, I felt very motivated today to: 
  • Make the bed (let's be honest, some days this just does not get done)
  • Sweep and mop all of the hard floors in my home
  • Clean the microwave inside and out
  • Clean out the refrigerator, tossing leftovers, wiping down all of the shelves, drawers, etc.
  • Dust all surfaces in the main living area
  • Vacuum all carpeting (except the kids' room where the baby was napping)
  • Run a load of dishes through the dishwasher
  • Switch out our toilet seat (which I've been meaning to do for about a week), and clean all parts of the toilet
  • Pick up and put away everything that was out of place (mainly toys and stinky socks -thanks hubby!)
  • Create and print out my June dinner menu calendar (I'm only a few days late on this one!)
  • Chase and tickle my adorable children
  • Read a new story to someone who "didn't want to take a nap" but is now very unconscious
  • and...Bake delicious cookies!
I feel so good accomplishing all of this today, but the best part that made all of the hard work worth it was having a good attitude and the right mindset while feeling purposeful in my tasks.  This makes such a big difference and on the days when I do not ask God to "give me the right attitude", I can accomplish all of the chores in the world, but feel miserable because I am not living joyfully and purposefully.  I chose to be a stay at home mom, and some of my jobs as such are keeping my home a restful and (reasonably) clean place for my family to spend time together and "to raise up my children in the way they should go".  If I slack off cleaning the house, or do so with a bad attitude, then not only will my home feel unrestful, but I will be a poor companion for my family to be around.  If I view my children as interruptions to my day that only need to be dealt with when they are interfering with whatever I'm doing, are in danger of dismembering one another, or are destroying something, then why did I stay home with them in the first place?  I want to view them as an enjoyable break from the daily grind of chores.  I want to welcome the chance to dry my hands of dish water, and chase them around the corner for the fifth time -armed with "tickle fingers" : ) 

I worked hard today.  And I felt good while doing so because I went through my day enjoying all of the reasons why I chose to do this in the first place.  I pray for a thousand more days like today!


My Blog Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment